If you could see clearly, we wouldn’t call this “the dark.” There are times in our lives when the truths we took for granted seem to be challenged and the God we thought we knew seems to have disappeared. If you (or someone you know) is bumbling about in the dark right now, please be encouraged by the following verses from God’s Word.
1. “I am still confident of this; I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 145:13-14
2. “’Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,’ says the Lord who has compassion on you.” Isaiah 54:10
3. “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19
4. “But now, this is what the Lord says—He who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” Isaiah 43:1
5. “I was young and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging for bread.” Psalm 37:25
6. “Is not my word like fire,” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?” Jeremiah 23:29
7. “This is the confidence we have in approaching God; that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that He hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of Him.” I John 5:14-15
8. “In my anguish I cried to the LORD and he answered by setting me free.” Psalm 118:5
9. “I was pushed back and about to fall, but the LORD helped me. The LORD is my strength and my song and has become my salvation.” Psalm 118:13-14
10. “The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,’ says the LORD Almighty. ‘And in this place I will grant peace,’ declares the LORD Almighty.” Haggai 2:9
11. “Why are you downcast O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” Psalm 43:5
12. “Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous; the Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!” Psalm 118:15
A few years ago, the lights went out in my life. I was diagnosed with cancer, our church was flooded and my teenaged daughter got pregnant. All of the promises I’d taken for granted seemed to heckle me. But, God was faithful to meet me in those dark places and teach me lessons I never would have learned if the sun was shining bright.
If you want more help hearing God in the dark consider purchasing the book I wrote when I was there, A Woman’s Guide to Hearing God’s Voice Finding Direction and Peace in the Struggles of Life. In this book I will give you confidence
that even when you can’t make sense of the trials and heartaches you might be facing, you can take hold of God when your faith is shaken. Order your copy of this book online today.